[Linganth] Looking for AAA panel on violence/masculinity/race/media

Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson mvalentinsson at email.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 1 01:54:04 UTC 2016

Hello,

My colleague Jessica Ray and I (both of the University of Arizona) are
developing a paper which may be of interest to panels on
violence, masculinity, race, and/or media. We've not yet seen a CFA go out
on the linganth listserv for such a panel, so we wanted to reach out and
see if any of our colleagues know of panels in development for which our
paper might be appropriate. Here's a *brief* summary of what we're thinking
(and of course we'll send a more complete abstract along to panel
organizers):

In recent years, public mass shootings have become increasingly widespread
in the United States and are now prevalent in public consciousness.
Following these incidents, news reports often unearth ‘manifestos’
attributed to these individuals that contribute to the media portrayal of
these individuals as "lone wolves": mentally disturbed loners acting
outside of and independent from the sociopolitical contexts that often
drive violence. In this paper, we apply apply critical discourse analysis
to both the 'manifestos' written by male mass shooters in the US, as well
as the media uptake of these texts, to examine linguistic constructions of
masculinity, race, and how they relate to acts of mass violence. We
contextualize this analysis within a broader sociopolitical understanding
of violence, both physically and symbolically.

thanks,
Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson

---
Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson, M.A.
Joint Ph.D. Program in Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Arizona