[Linganth] CFP- AAA 2016-Session Title: Transparent Privacy in the Digital Era: How Users Create Information Boundaries Online

Aslihan AKKAYA aslhn at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 17:42:35 UTC 2016

Call for Papers –Transparent Privacy in the Digital Era: How Users Create Information Boundaries Online
115th AAA Annual Meeting “Evidence, Accident, Discovery”16-20 November 2016, MinneapolisOrganizer: Aslihan Akkaya (Florida International University)
Preliminary Session Abstract:The ubiquity of Internet technologies and their embededness in the fabric of our everyday sociality brings with them concerns about privacy. These concerns are particularly acute in regards to digital media that requires transparency in self-presentation online. Online platforms are places for self-expression, communication, information dissemination and self-promotion and skill. However this great utility facilitates data collection and surveillance. Thus, while social networks encourage their users to present a transparent identity, many users take steps to bolster their sense of personal privacy and safety. Anthropologists studying social media platforms have encountered diverse methods by which individuals and groups attempt to balance requirements for information and privacy. They have created what we term “Transparent Privacy,” while continuing to engage in what is often believed to be an essential form of social interaction. Unique performances of privacy within differing online platforms display concerns relating the individual protagonist (such as gender and race), community (cultural and geographic affiliation), and techno-materiality (audience and accessibility). This panel explores how our understanding of the diverse performances of privacy to illustrate “weapons of the weak” used to push back against potential exploitation of personal information and individual skill. In doing so, this research highlights the local and global discourses that influence user perceptions on privacy with the goal of understanding how unique practices to maintain personal boundaries of privacy may indicate emerging conceptions of Internet-based rights. We invite papers analyzing how individuals or groups percieve, articulate, and perform privacy in digitial media platforms. Please send abstracts of 250 words, along with paper title and keywords, to Aslihan Akkaya (aaslihan at fiu.edu) by April 9th.