[Linganth] Symposium About Language And Society XXIV, this weekend April 15-16

Nora Tyeklar ntyeklar at utexas.edu
Wed Apr 13 01:13:39 UTC 2016

Greetings,

The 24th annual Symposium about Language and Society (SALSA) at the
University of Texas at Austin is taking place this Friday and Saturday,
April 15 and 16. This year's conference theme is *Raising Voices*.

The finalized conference is schedule is available on our website at:
http://salsa-tx.org/schedule.htm

Student registration is $25. Please visit the following link to register:
http://salsa-tx.org/registration.htm

SALSA XXIV: Raising Voices

April 15-16, 2016 at University of Texas at Austin
------------------------------

SALSA is an annual symposium promoting linguistic and sociolinguistic
research at the University of Texas at Austin. Originally created through
the joint efforts of students from the Linguistic and Anthropology
Departments, SALSA has developed into an interdisciplinary conference with
contributions from various fields, including communication studies, foreign
language education, educational psychology, media studies, speech
communication, numerous language departments, and various area, critical
race, and gender and identities studies. Our annual proceedings appear in
special editions of Texas Linguistic Forum.

This year's theme is *Raising Voices.* It is by raising voices that various
cultures overlap, connect, and share with each other. Languages encode
methods for cultivating the voices of both individuals and groups, drawn
together in solidarity through shared experience, growth, hardship, and
loss. How are linguistic mechanisms used to cultivate these identities and
sense of self? How can we utilize language to amplify cultural voices, and
how do we interpret cultural silence? How do ideologies underpin who go
gets to raise their voices and who is silenced? How do we use voice to
build bridges from within, across, and at the peripheries of cultures when
certain voices have been silenced as a result of colonial oppressions and
dominant discourses and ways of communicating? With new technologies
regularly available, how do we reconstruct voices that have been lost or
silenced? SALSA XXIV seeks to explore these questions and more in order to
contribute to literature from linguistics, anthropology, communication
sciences, and interdisciplinary fields such as queer, critical race, area,
and women's and gender studies.

This year's keynote speakers will be:

*Rusty Barrett*
University of Kentucky