[Linganth] Ling anth ethnography recommendations for entry-level UG courses?

Susanne Unger susanne.unger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:22:47 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I'm looking for suggestions for recently published, ling anth-oriented
ethnographies to teach in lower-level undergraduate-level courses. For
many students, this will be their first ethnography, and most of them
have no previous training in sociolinguistics.

At the end of this message are some of the monographs I've taught in
past semesters; all lead to some very good classroom conversations and
student papers, and I'd be happy to teach them again, but I am also
interested in reading and assigning a new monograph. I took a look at
the list of ethnographies on language socialization that was curated
last year but am interested in other topics as well.

If you have any recommendations for books you've found engaging and
well suited for undergraduate students who are just beginning to learn
about (linguistic) anthropology, please e-mail them to me. I'm happy
to compile a list later to share with this listserv and/or the SLA
blog.

Thanks in advance, Susanne

Some of the monographs I've taught in recent years:
Jean Briggs, Never in Anger
Robin Conley, Confronting the Death Penalty
Ilana Gershon, The Breakup 2.0
Graham Jones, Trade of the Tricks
Norma Mendoza-Denton, Homegirls

Susanne Unger, Ph.D.