[Linganth] Ling anth ethnography recommendations for entry-level UG courses

Susanne Unger susanne.unger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:09:31 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Many thanks to those of you who shared your suggestions, which I have
compiled below.

Together, they cover an impressive range of topics and locations. While
I've assigned articles by several of the authors I haven't taught their
ethnographies, so I really appreciate your suggestions.

For those of you who have to consider your students' limited budgets when
choosing books, some of the books are also available used, in paperback, or
as e-book rentals (though they might not be listed as such until one clicks
on the shopping cart icon).

Best wishes, Susanne

Ling Anth Ethnography Suggestions

Basso, Keith. 1996. Wisdom Sits in Places.

Das, Sonia. 2016. Linguistic Rivalries: Tamil Migrants and Anglo-Franco
Conflicts.

Everett, Dan. 2009. Don’t Sleep: There are Snakes: Life and Language in the
Amazonian Jungle.

Hill, Jane H. 2008. The Everyday Language of White Racism.

Hoffmann-Dilloway, Erika. 2016. Signing and Belonging in Nepal.

LaDousa, Chaise. 2011. House Signs and Collegiate Fun: Sex, Race, and Faith
in a College Town.

Okren, Arica. 2009. In the Land of Invented Languages: Esperanto rock
stars, Klingon poets, Loglan lovers, and the mad dreamers who tried to
build a perfect language.

Ryang, Sonia. 1997. North Koreans in Japan: Language, Ideology, and
Identity.

García Sánchez, I. M. 2014. Language and Muslim Immigrant Childhoods: The
Politics of Belonging.

Wirtz, Kristina. 2014. Performing Afro-Cuba: Image, Voice, Spectacle in the
Making of Race and History.