[Linganth] UPDATED Ling anth ethnography recommendations for entry-level UG courses

Susanne Unger susanne.unger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 04:59:19 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Many thanks to those of you who shared your suggestions, which I in
turn compiled and shared with the list. I've since received a couple
more suggestions and fixed a misspelling. Here is the updated list:

Basso, Keith. 1996. Wisdom Sits in Places.

Das, Sonia. 2016. Linguistic Rivalries: Tamil Migrants and
Anglo-Franco Conflicts.

Everett, Dan. 2009. Don’t Sleep: There are Snakes: Life and Language
in the Amazonian Jungle.

García Sánchez, I. M. 2014. Language and Muslim Immigrant Childhoods:
The Politics of Belonging.

Hill, Jane H. 2008. The Everyday Language of White Racism.

Hoffmann-Dilloway, Erika. 2016. Signing and Belonging in Nepal.

LaDousa, Chaise. 2011. House Signs and Collegiate Fun: Sex, Race, and
Faith in a College Town.

Okrent, Arika. 2009. In the Land of Invented Languages: Esperanto rock
stars, Klingon poets, Loglan lovers, and the mad dreamers who tried to
build a perfect language.

Roth Gordon, Jennifer. 2017 (pub date: January 3, 2017). Race and the
Brazilian Body: Blackness, Whiteness, and Everyday Language in Rio de
Janeiro.

Ryang, Sonia. 1997. North Koreans in Japan: Language, Ideology, and Identity.

Smith, Andrea L., and Anna Eisenstein. 2016. Rebuilding Shattered
Worlds: Creating Community by Voicing the Past.

Wirtz, Kristina. 2014. Performing Afro-Cuba: Image, Voice, Spectacle
in the Making of Race and History.