[Linganth] References on Language and Citizenship?

Claudia Strauss claudia_strauss at pitzer.edu
Sat Feb 6 07:43:35 UTC 2016

Dear Alejandro,
Language policies are highly relevant to citizenship in its broader sense, as inclusion or social standing.   A political scientist who has written about this for the US is Deborah Schildkraut, Press 1 for English.  See the attached for a chapter I've assigned from that book. She accepts the distinction between classic liberalism and civic republicanism but interestingly shows that those values can lead to both support for and opposition to exclusionary English Only policies.
Best,
Claudia Strauss
Professor of Anthropology
Pitzer College