[Linganth] Youtube Videos in Class: What to do about ads?

Chad Nilep nilep at ilas.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Mon Jan 18 00:45:58 UTC 2016

Personally I prefer to download videos for a number of reasons.

1. Speed. I don’t have to worry about waiting for ads, or for buffering for dodgy internet speeds or high-quality (and thus slow-loading) videos.

2. Reliability. In some buildings on my campus, wi-fi is either slow or unreliable. If the video is safely on my laptop, that’s not an issue.

3. Flexibility. I can cue the video to the spot I want, or replay easily. I can embed the video in PowerPoint or combine it with other media.

4. Ethics. As someone interested in production as well as consumption of online media, I feel like I should either watch the ad or pay the subscription fee. If I’ve downloaded, at least I’ve watched the ad -- though of course my students have not. People may well think that this is either unnecessary or else not sufficient from an ethical stand point, but it satisfies me personally. (I’ve hesitated to try YouTube Red, as it’s a new service and people I’ve heard from have mixed opinions about it.)

I use Video DownloadHelper (www.downloadhelper.net), which is a shareware add-on for Firefox. I see they also have a version for Chrome.

-Chad Nilep