[Linganth] Call for Papers, AAA 115

Judy Pine Judy.Pine at wwu.edu
Mon Jan 18 02:09:05 UTC 2016

Hello all!  Here it is, half way through January and time to be thinking about papers for the AAA annual meeting in November.  As you will note from the schedule here:  http://www.americananthro.org/AttendEvents/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=1695&navItemNumber=696  the deadline for submitting papers to be considered for Executive Session status (both panels and roundtables) is February 17th.  The  final deadline for submissions is, as it has been for the past couple of years, April 15th.

In all cases, submissions MUST be in by 5 PM EST on the due date.  Although of course you may submit an individual paper only panels or roundtables will be considered for Executive or Invited status.  If you cannot find or form a panel with whom to submit, I STRONGLY encourage you to consider a poster presentation.  Poster presentations offer multimedia opportunities not available in the restricted time frame of a paper presentation.   Imagine, being able to let folks see several minutes of your field video/listen to several minutes of field audio - maybe even multiple times! -- , and still having time to talk about your analysis of the material!

On a related note, I would love to hear from folks who are interested in serving on the SLA Program Committee this year.  I anticipate another set of really interesting panels and papers.

Below, I have cut and pasted the theme for this year's meeting for your convenience - visit the AAA website (now at www.americananthro.org<http://www.americananthro.org>) for this and more information.

Yours,

-          Judy Pine, SLA Program Chair

Annual Meeting Theme
The 115th Annual Meeting theme, 'Evidence, Accident, Discovery', raises issues central to debates within both anthropology and politics in a neoliberal, climate-changing, social media-networked era: What counts as evidence? What does evidence count for? What are the underlying causes and foreseeability of violence and catastrophes? How is misfortune interpreted, and causality, attributed in cases of humanly-preventable harm? And in the give and take of relationships on which anthropological evidence typically depends, Who gets to claim that they discovered something? We welcome proposals that debate these and other questions stimulated by the conference theme, in the opportunity that our annual meeting provides for "big tent" debate.

Judith M.S. Pine
Assoc. Professor
Dept of Anthropology
Western Washington University