[Linganth] Colleagues, follow up to the last AAA resolution on contingent faculty?

Steven Black stevepblack at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:46:17 UTC 2016

Hi Nate,
First, some promotion: there was just an anonymous blog post on the Ethics Blog on topics related to contingent labor and intersectionality: http://ethics.americananthro.org/an-intersectional-pov-on-how-the-contingent-faculty-market-is-against-our-other-principles-in-the-aaa-code-of-ethics/

Last year, Netta Avineri (core member of the committee on language and social justice and I (in my capacity as chair of the Committee on Ethics [CoE]) and I (in my capacity as chair of the Committee on Ethics) worked on this last year with some colleagues from the committee on labor relations (CLR), with the hope of moving beyond the 2013 CLR statement (which I believe was approved by the AAA, but can’t find evidence of that online—here is a link to the statement: http://savageminds.org/2013/11/10/aaa-to-hear-resolution-on-contingent-and-part-time-academic-labor/). We came up with a document titled, "Statement on Ethical Standards for Contingent Faculty,” which the CLR submitted to the AAA leadership.

Netta and I wrote a blog post on our efforts here: http://ethics.aaanet.org/professional-precarity-ethics-and-social-justice/

I’ll send you some more info off-listserv about our documents, et cetera. For others who may be interested, the short version of the story is that the AAA  resisted the idea of further resolutions (eg. a “best practices” statement or something similar) with the logic that they could not support particular practices without having data on their effectiveness to back up their support (the circularity of the argument of not trying something because it hasn’t been proven successful was not generally recognized). In theory, however, AAA leadership seemed interested. The CoE would be interested in pursuing this further, and I’m willing to bet the CLR would as well. So, let me know how I can help!

Take care,
Steve

Steven P. Black
Chair of the Committee on Ethics of the American Anthropological Association

Department of Anthropology
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3998
Atlanta, GA 30302-3998