[Linganth] Open Syllabus Project

Adam Hodges Adam.Hodges at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jan 25 08:45:15 UTC 2016

Interesting story from The New York Times on the Open Syllabus Project:

http://nyti.ms/1K1mefe

Here's the direct link to the project:

http://opensyllabusproject.org/

Beyond the issues raised in the NYT article, the project website might be a
potentially useful resource for those planning courses. You might also
consider submitting your syllabi directly to the project to provide more
representation from linguistic anthropology courses.

In the NYT article, the authors argue, "we think that it is important for
schools to move toward a more open approach to curriculums. As universities
face growing pressure to justify their teaching and research missions, we
doubt that curricular obscurity is helpful. We think that the Syllabus
Explorer demonstrates how more open strategies can support teaching,
diversify evaluation practices and offer new perspectives on publishing,
scholarship and intellectual traditions. But as with any newly published
work, that judgment now passes out of our hands and into yours."

Thoughts?

Adam

*Adam Hodges, Ph.D.* | Visiting Assistant Professor, English
adamhodges at cmu.edu | tel.: +974 4454-8402 |
http://works.bepress.com/adamhodges/

Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
PO Box 24866 | Education City | Doha, Qatar