[Linganth] univie: summer school in Cognitive Science "Cognition, Art, and Culture"

univie CSSS2016 csss.cogsci at univie.ac.at
Sun Jun 26 16:49:38 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to inform you about our summer school at the University of
Vienna, as we find that it would be interesting for the participants of
this mailing list.

Best,
on behalf of the organizers,
Evelyn Gasiorek

Information about our school:

univie: summer school in Cognitive Science "Cognition, Art, and Culture"

> Application deadline extended: July 3, 2016
> Now also open for advanced Master students

August 26 - September 2, 2016
University of Vienna, Austria

Organized by the Cognitive Science Research Platform, University of
Vienna in cooperation with the IAEA - International Association of
Empirical Aesthetics

cogsci.univie.ac.at/summerschool2016
iaea2016.univie.ac.at

---

The Cognitive Turn initiated in Psychology and Computer Science has
reached the Social Sciences and Humanities that traditionally study art
and culture. The new encounter of academic disciplines poses challenges
for researchers, teachers and students. At the first glance incompatible
conceptualizations of the objects of investigation (here works of art
and their creation and perception) and differences in applied
methodologies (quantitative vs. qualitative) require skills in
interdisciplinary scientific communication.

The univie: summer school in Cognitive Science will bring together
scholars from neuroscience, psychology, philosophy and art history, to
explore the new paradigms of empirical aesthetics, neuroaesthetics,
cognitive science and empirical methods (fMRI, Eye Tracking, Facial EMG)
in theory and practice.

It is addressed to PhD students of the arts, humanities and social
sciences. Post Docs in the humanities who want to broaden their
expertise on empirical methods, and motivated/advanced Master students
with experience in interdisciplinary work are welcome to apply.

Participants will have the opportunity to attend all keynote lectures
and the parallel presentation sessions with the leading researchers of
the international congress of the IAEA 2016.

Excursions to important institutions in Vienna will round off this
inspiring late summer experience.

Speakers:
- Anjan Chatterjee (University of Pennsylvania, Center for Cognitive
Neuroscience; Neurology at Pennsylvania Hospital)
- Paul Hekkert (Delft University of Technology, Faculty Industrial
Design Engineering)
- Helmut Leder (University Vienna, Department of Basic Psychological
Research and Research Methods, Faculty of Psychology)
- Markus Peschl (University Vienna, Department of Philosophy, Faculty of
Philosophy and Education)
- Raphael Rosenberg (University Vienna, Department of Art History)
- Natalie Sebanz (Central European University Budapest, Department of
Cognitive Science)
- Gabrielle Starr (New York University, Department of English)
- Special Guest: Stefan Sagmeister (graphic designer, Sagmeister&Walsh,
New York)

What we offer:
- A seven days program with international speakers
- Access to keynotes, panels and sessions at the IAEA 2016 congress
- Networking opportunities at the social evening of IAEA 2016
- Excursions
- Assistance in organizational matters concerning your stay
- 6 ECTS

Your costs:
- €120 tuition for the summer school
- Lodging. We offer students individual rooms in dormitories for
approximately €300 for the course duration
- Travel on your own expense

How to apply:
- A short educational curriculum vitae
- A list/certificates of your most recent courses or a copy of diplomas
- A one-page statement (in English) briefly outlining your previous work
and reason for attending the univie: summer school in Cognitive Science
- Optional: A letter of recommendation by your main professor, including
some comment on your previous work
- Optional: A passport photo (electronic) for the use in the online
forum

Deadline for applications: July 3, 2016 (Later applications may be
considered if place is still available. There is space for a total of 25
participants).

Application documents shall be sent in PDF file format to
csss.cogsci at univie.ac.at with the subject line “Application” (contact:
Peter Rantasa).

Please forward and circulate this invitation message.

For further inquiries please contact Peter Rantasa
(mailto: csss.cogsci at univie.ac.at)

cogsci.univie.ac.at/summerschool2016

---

This Summer School is funded by WWTF under the Vienna Stimulus Programme
for Humanities, Social and Cultural Studies at the City of Vienna, Wien
Kultur.

Follow us:
facebook.com/cogsciunivie
twitter.com/cogsciunivie