[Linganth] Language, Race and Genetics Panel?

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 03:55:58 UTC 2016

Dear Ling.anthlers

I am writing to inquire if anyone has plans for a panel on language, race
and genetics? Or if not, they might be interested in co-organizing or
participating in one with me?

The panel might cover both theoretical and empirical papers on ideologies
and practices that combine heritage language practices with ideas of
genetic ancestry, or discussions of the use of phylogenetic methods and
genetic evidence in research and discourse on ethno-linguistic groups and
their histories. It could also include papers with critical discussions of
how historical linguistics and genetics data can be deployed as evidence
for racial ideologies, or as parts of racializing practices.

Please shoot me an email with a note on your work if you might be
interested in participating a panel like this. Or if you already have a
panel that fits or partially fits my description and you need an extra
participant.

best regards,
--
Magnus Pharao Hansen