[Linganth] "Actually I mean" in Northern Indian English

Joshua Raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at Colorado.EDU
Thu May 12 16:37:55 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I'm working with video data of scientific discourse with a number of
speakers who work in the U.S. but are originally from India and Pakistan.
I've noticed the phrase "Actually I mean" used as a frequent discourse
marker by one speaker from Northern India (Uttar Pradesh, specifically),
and I was curious if this is a feature that others may have come across in
their work with speakers from this geographic area. If so, is this limited
to the English of this area or something with roots in the local varieties
of Hindi or Urdu (or possibly another language)?

Thanks!

Josh

--
​Joshua Raclaw, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate​, ​Center for Women's Health Research