[Linganth] informal meeting at AAAs to discuss campaign rhetoric and teaching undergrad courses

Jordan Levy levyjd at plu.edu
Sat Nov 12 03:45:59 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this group. I am a political anthropologist by training and am
currently teaching a linguistic anthropology course for the first time.
For the past couple of weeks we've been working through Jane Hill's book,
"The Everyday Language of White Racism," which I think continues to offer
very important insights and tools.
Wednesday was an incredibly emotional class as students made connections
between her arguments and the (more explicit) hate speech that they have
already been witnessing/experiencing in the election aftermath.
It would be great to meet up informally to talk about how others are
teaching these topics.
Sincerely,
Jordan Levy

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Browne,Kate <Kate.Browne at colostate.edu>
wrote:

> Greetings Linguistic and Media Anthropologists,
>
> I’d like to ask if there will be any space at the AAAs to talk about how
> others are thinking about using material from the presidential campaign to
> teach undergrad courses like Language and Culture. If there is no
> designated time for such an exchange, I would like to ask if there are
> others who would like to meet informally to discuss this?
>
> Thank you!
> Kate

> Katherine E. Browne
>
> Professor
>
> Department of Anthropology
>
> Colorado State University
>
> Fort Collins, CO 80523-1787
>
> 970-491-5813
>
> Editor,* Economic Anthropology *(Wiley Blackwell Journals)
>
> http://katebrowne.colostate.edu/

Jordan Levy, PhD
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, Washington, USA
Phone: 253/535-8285 <253%2F535-7297>   Office: Xavier 110
email: levyjd at plu.edu <ceynarml at plu.edu>