[Linganth] informal meeting at AAAs to discuss campaign rhetoric and teaching undergrad courses

Amelia Tseng at443 at georgetown.edu
Sun Nov 13 15:09:48 UTC 2016

Hi all,
Sorry for multiple responses - had a little trouble navigating the threads!
I am very interested in this. I am arriving Friday morning and pretty
involved with Saturday events, but would like to attend if possible once a
time is picked and definitely hoping notes will be shared! Thanks for
proposing this important step.

See you in Minneapolis,
Amelia

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM, Kate Riley <kriley1125 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm interested, but these times won't work for me.  Hopefully you'll be
> able to share the results.  Also, you might all want to consider coming to
> the Language and Social Justice meeting on Sat. at 12:15 -- the power of
> words is always on our docket and will be discussed as Trump Talk this
> year...and we're always sharing ways to discuss these issues with our
> students.
> Kate
>
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Browne,Kate <Kate.Browne at colostate.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> To all of you interested in an informal meeting at the AAAs, I’d like to
>> propose a couple of times:
>> Friday, November 18, 9-10:30am
>> Saturday, November 19, 12pm-1:30pm
>> Saturday, November 19, 5-6:30pm
>> Sunday, November 20, 9-10:30am
>>
>> The Scheduler on the AAA website is not displaying times for sessions
>> right now for some reason, so it’s hard to see conflicts. If those
>> interested would email back times they can NOT meet, I’ll try to find what
>> works best for everyone.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kate
>>
>> From: Linganth on behalf of Grace Reynolds
>> Date: Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 6:51 AM
>> To: Kathryn Remlinger
>> Cc: "Linganth at listserv.linguistlist.org"
>> Subject: Re: [Linganth] informal meeting at AAAs to discuss campaign
>> rhetoric and teaching undergrad courses
>>
>> This is a great idea and would like to second the request to have the
>> notes available for those of us unable to attend this year. This sounds
>> like a valuable resource for many of us in our future classes.  Thanks for
>> thinking of this.
>>
>> Grace
>>
>> On Nov 12, 2016, at 7:12 AM, Kathryn Remlinger <remlingk at gvsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> This is a great idea. If you do meet up, could someone take notes and
>> post them here for those of us not able to attend AAA this year?
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Kate
>>
>> Kathryn Remlinger, Ph.D.
>> Professor of English: Linguistics
>> Grand Valley State University
>> 243 Lake Huron Hall
>> 1 Campus Drive
>> Allendale, MI 49401
>> 1 (616) 331-3122
>>
>> On Nov 11, 2016, at 22:46, Jordan Levy <levyjd at plu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm new to this group. I am a political anthropologist by training and am
>> currently teaching a linguistic anthropology course for the first time.
>> For the past couple of weeks we've been working through Jane Hill's book,
>> "The Everyday Language of White Racism," which I think continues to offer
>> very important insights and tools.
>> Wednesday was an incredibly emotional class as students made connections
>> between her arguments and the (more explicit) hate speech that they have
>> already been witnessing/experiencing in the election aftermath.
> [...]

Amelia Tseng, Ph.D
*https://si.academia.edu/AmeliaTseng <https://si.academia.edu/AmeliaTseng>*

Research Associate
Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage

Adjunct Lecturer
Georgetown University

Primary Investigator: Bilingualism and Latin at s in D.C.: Exploring Language
Use and Cultural Identity, Resource Access, and Metropolitan Mobility
http://www.american.edu/clals/Bilingualism-and-Latinos-in-DC.cfm
Scholar in Residence, School of Education
Affiliated Faculty, Center for Latin American and Latino Studies
Director of Bilingual Education 2014-2016
American University