[Linganth] call for papers

Hiwa Asadpour hiva.dandelion at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:27:10 UTC 2016

Dear all,
you might be interested in this event

­

*Language Contact and Language Change in Western Asia*

10th to 12th March 2017

Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany

*CALL FOR PAPERS*

*Call deadline*

15th December 2016 for abstract submission

*Submissions*

Proposals are open to anyone but we especially welcome:

1.     Postgraduate students (MA, MPhil, MSt, etc.);

2.     PhD students/candidates and post-docs at any stage of their degree.

We invite submissions of preliminary abstracts (max. 1 page, excluding
references) for 20 minute presentations. Please send your abstracts through
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=lclcwa2017 by 15th December 2016.

*Important dates:*

15th December 2016 — Call deadline (submission of abstracts)

10th January 2017 — Notification of acceptance

*Conference description:*

The conference “Language Contact and Language Change in Western Asia”
focuses on multilingualism in Western Asia. Within Western Asia, we aim at
focusing the Kurdish-populated areas in the regions of Iran, Iraq, Syria,
Turkey and the neighboring countries Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia. In
this area, several Indo-European varieties are spoken, including Armenian,
Kurdish varieties, and Persian. A number of non-Indo-European languages are
spoken as well, such as Azeri Turkic, Neo-Aramaic, and Turkish. Finally
Georgian and other Caucasian languages are also spoken in the region. Most
of the above-mentioned languages exhibit a suprastratum of Semitic, Iranian
and Turkic languages due to their close contact for centuries.

The conference explores the use of corpus methods in descriptive and
theoretical analysis of word order change of natural languages in a
multilingual area like Western Asia. Focal areas of interest include, but
are not limited to language contact and language change in word order,
information structure, and prosody. Furthermore, we are interested in
theoretical and methodological issues pertaining to corpus-oriented
research in language contact, i.e. tools, methods, and techniques
in corpus assembly, annotation and analysis, the interaction
between corpus linguistics and computational linguistics, the relevance of
corpus linguistics and linguistic theory, the use of statistical and
quantitative methods in detecting patterns of language change, as well as
the impact of corpus-based vs. corpus-driven approaches on our view and
understanding of morphosyntatic change in languages.

*Invited speakers:*

Prof. Dr. Anaid Donabedian (Labex EFL, Inalco, SeDyL, Paris, France)

Prof. Dr. Geoffrey Khan (University of Cambridge, UK)

Prof. Dr. Jost Gippert (Goethe University of Frankfurt, Germany)

Prof. Dr. Martin Haspelmath (MPI-SHH Jena & Leipzig University, Germany)

Prof. Dr. Michael Chyet (Library of Congress, Washington D.C., US)

Prof. Dr. Yaron Matras (Manchester University, UK)

*Scientific committee:*

PD Dr. Agnes Korn (CNRS, UMR Mondes iranien et indien, Paris, France)

Prof. Dr. Eleanor Coghill (Uppsala University, Sweden)

Prof. Dr. Geoffrey Haig (Bamberg University, Germany)

PD Dr. Irina Nevskaya (Goethe University of Frankfurt, Germany)

Dr. Mojtaba Monshizadeh (Allameh Tabataba’i University, Iran)

Dr. Thomas Jügel (Labex EFL, Inalco, Paris, France)

Dr. Zahra Abolhassani Chimeh (Research Center, SAMT, Iran)

Regular updates will be announced on:

https://www.facebook.com/Humanities-and-Linguistics-Cross-Disciplinary-Approaches-1668887300067775/

https://kurdishstudiesnetwork.net/2016/11/06/call-for-papers-language-contact-and-language-change-in-western-asia/

*Conference fee*

The conference fees listed below are in Euros

Full pack (including the main conference, three days of tutorials and
workshops, refreshments, conference dinner on Friday)

*Frankfurt-based student: 35*

*Student: 55*

*Regular: 80*

Main conference only

*Frankfurt-based student: 12*

*Student: 35*

*Regular: 65*

*SPONSORS*

We gratefully acknowledge the continued support of our principal sponsors
GRADE
<http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/51934152/100_landingpage?legacy_request=1> and
the Department of Comparative Linguistics at the University of Frankfurt.

More information will be announced in December 2016. We are looking forward
to hosting you in Frankfurt.

Your Organization Committee

Hiwa Asadpour (Founding Chair)

Peter Reimer, Daniel Krauße (Coordinators)

Inquiries and contact: LCLCWAConference at gmail.com

*Best Regards*
*Hiwa*