[Linganth] "Locker room talk"?

Woolard, Kathryn kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 10 03:31:06 UTC 2016

Hi all –

There’s a lot of expertise on gender and discourse on this listserv. Is anyone poised/ working on an op-ed piece and/or well-placed blogpost taking apart , for a general audience, the repeated invocation of “locker room talk” as a defense of bragging about sexual assault?

E.g., what/where is this canonical  “locker room” that excuses bragging about criminal sexual harassment,  in the long-established age of Title IX?  And, what are the implications of this genre defense for athletes in high schools and colleges, in addition to professional teams, in a time of such public concern about sexual assault on campuses and highly publicized incidents so often involving athletes?

I can’t write it, though I wish it could; I hope some of my talented, knowledgeable colleagues who can write for a broad public are working on it!

Thanks –
Kit

Kathryn A. Woolard, Professor
Department of Anthropology, 0532