[Linganth] "Locker room talk"?

Jacqueline Urla jurla at anthro.umass.edu
Mon Oct 10 03:57:58 UTC 2016

Thanks Kit,

I came home wishing Clinton had said something more pointed about what the excuse of locker room talk meant for women on campuses today.

I, too, want to encourage a timely response to this!

jackie

Jacqueline Urla
Professor and Chair
Department of Anthropology
208 Machmer Hall
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003
413 545-2869
> On Oct 9, 2016, at 11:31 PM, Woolard, Kathryn <kwoolard at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi all –
>
> There’s a lot of expertise on gender and discourse on this listserv. Is anyone poised/ working on an op-ed piece and/or well-placed blogpost taking apart , for a general audience, the repeated invocation of “locker room talk” as a defense of bragging about sexual assault?
>
> E.g., what/where is this canonical  “locker room” that excuses bragging about criminal sexual harassment,  in the long-established age of Title IX?  And, what are the implications of this genre defense for athletes in high schools and colleges, in addition to professional teams, in a time of such public concern about sexual assault on campuses and highly publicized incidents so often involving athletes?
>
> I can’t write it, though I wish it could; I hope some of my talented, knowledgeable colleagues who can write for a broad public are working on it!
>
> Thanks –
> Kit
>

> Kathryn A. Woolard, Professor
> Department of Anthropology, 0532
> UCSD
> 9500 Gilman Drive
> La Jolla, CA 92093-0532
> kwoolard at ucsd.edu <mailto:kwoolard at ucsd.edu>
>
> New book:  https://global.oup.com/academic/product/singular-and-plural-9780190258627?q=woolard&lang=en&cc=us <https://global.oup.com/academic/product/singular-and-plural-9780190258627?q=woolard&lang=en&cc=us>

Modern European Studies Program
http://www.scoop.it/t/modern-european-studies