[Linganth] "Locker room talk"?

Elizabeth Keating Elizabeth.Keating at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 11 11:30:43 UTC 2016

To add to this very interesting discussion:
Benjamin Bailey’s 2016 article “ Street remarks to women in five countries and four languages: Impositions of engagement and intimacy” in Sociolinguistic Studies is an interesting discussion about a similar case of contested interpretation of demeaning behavior towards women. He describes referential vs. interactional accounts of what the behavior (street talk) means and how people should be accountable for it. Men who engage in street remarks defend their behavior as benign  (e.g. I was just saying ‘hi’ or giving her a compliment), while women interpret the remarks as an imposition of intimacy (i.e. a first pair part greeting or compliment, with interactional preferences for what must come next, the second pair part, e.g. a greeting or acknowledgement of the compliment). Women regularly ignore the street remarks, and through their lack of response to greetings or compliments, treat them as outside of norms of civil interaction.

Best, Elizabeth

Elizabeth Keating
Professor, Department of Anthropology
University of Texas at Austin