[Linganth] ABC News linguistic profiling quiz?

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 14 04:42:29 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I have a question I hope someone out there can help with. Back in 2002, I believe, ABC News created a quiz to illustrate the phenomenon of linguistic profiling; it included a series of audio clips of ten different people reciting "Mary Had a Little Lamb." The quiz was possibly inspired by but not the same as the "American Tongues" clip with a similar setup. I'm also already familiar with the YouTube video of the 20/20 Downtown episode featuring John Baugh's work on linguistic profiling, which includes an excerpt of the quiz but not all ten speakers.

The website where I found the quiz is now defunct: (http://www.uiowa.edu/~c103112/profile.html <http://www.uiowa.edu/~c103112/profile.html>) and I'm unable to find the quiz anywhere else online. Did anyone happen to download the sound files, or does anyone have a working link to the original quiz? My students and I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much,

Mary

Mary Bucholtz, Professor
Department of Linguistics