[Linganth] Prop 58

Sarah Benor sbenor.huc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:52:09 UTC 2016

Do people who teach in California have any suggestions for teaching
surrounding Proposition 58? This statewide proposition allows for
dual-language immersion programs, reversing Proposition 227 from 1998,
which eliminated most bilingual education in the state. I'm trying to
decide how to deal with this in my class "Language, Race, and Identity
in the United States Today" at USC. I'm considering either an in-class
debate or a service learning project where students would write op-eds
about it.

Here's more info about the proposition:
http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/propositions/58/

Thanks,
Sarah Bunin Benor
Associate Professor of Contemporary Jewish Studies
Hebrew Union College
University of Southern California