[Linganth] Prop 58

Richard Senghas richard.senghas at sonoma.edu
Thu Oct 20 21:10:42 UTC 2016

In Finegan and Rickford's 2004 edited volume, Language in the USA: Themes for the Twenty-first Century, there are a pair of chapters that might be helpful: Terrence G. Wiley's "Language planning, language policy, and the English-Only Movement" and Lily Wong Fillmore's "Language in education" make a good pair, even a dozen years later.  Combining those with an examination of the actual language changes proposed in the Text of Proposed Law (available as PDF online at voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/propositions/58/<http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/propositions/58/>) might be helpful.

Helps highlight what happened with the 1998 CA Prop. 227, and what is trying to be rectified now.

-Richard

Richard J Senghas, PhD
Immediate Past Chair of the Faculty & Academic Senate
Professor of Anthropology
Sonoma State University