[Linganth] Prop 58

Evelyn Dean Olmsted evelyn.dean at upr.edu
Fri Oct 21 17:34:57 UTC 2016

The documentary "Speaking in Tongues" is great for revealing the range of
ideologies surrounding such programs (e.g., Spanish-speaking parents who
didn't want their kids learning in Spanish at school; Euro-American
relatives of Chinese-American kids in a Mandarin immersion school who
thought that everybody should be speaking English; and of course the
advocates of immersion/bilingual ed).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1337544/

On 20 October 2016 at 21:52, Netta Avineri <navineri at gmail.com> wrote:

> For those who haven't seen it yet check out the piece that a few of us
> from the language & social justice task group co-authored on the topic:
> "Save CA Residents From A Language Drought: Vote 'Yes' This Fall"
> http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11387726
>
> Also the FB group for Californians Together, the main group spearheading
> the Prop. 58 efforts:
> https://m.facebook.com/CaliforniansTogether/
>
> I have copied on this message Shelly Spiegel-Coleman, Executive Director
> of Californians Together, who can share more about what would be useful for
> students to help with at this stage. You can also request from them
> brochures in English and Spanish as well as buttons.
>
> Ana Celia Zentella has been making phone calls for the efforts, in
> particular with Spanish-speaking households. She and Stephen Krashen among
> others have written responses to articles about the subject. Ted Everhart
> is researching the language activism around Prop. 58 (and a student of mine
> plans to help him). Nelson Flores wrote a great piece recently about it:
> http://www.c-sail.org/resources/blog/california-ready-tear-down-barriers-
> bilingual-education
>
> Lots of opeds and articles lately in the LA Times, SD Union Tribune, and
> other national outlets (and even international - I saw it in the Economist
> recently). So important for us to get the word out in as many ways as
> possible that bilingual education is vital and important!
>
> On Oct 20, 2016, at 2:22 PM, Grace Reynolds <gr3ck at virginia.edu> wrote:
>
> Likely already on your radar, but Woolard has a great 1989 piece up this
> general alley:
>
> Woolard, Kathryn A. "Sentences in the language prison: The rhetorical
> structuring of an American language policy debate." *American Ethnologist*16,
> no. 2 (1989): 268-278.
>

> On Oct 20, 2016, at 4:52 PM, Sarah Benor <sbenor.huc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Do people who teach in California have any suggestions for teaching
> surrounding Proposition 58? This statewide proposition allows for
> dual-language immersion programs, reversing Proposition 227 from 1998,
> which eliminated most bilingual education in the state. I'm trying to
> decide how to deal with this in my class "Language, Race, and Identity
> in the United States Today" at USC. I'm considering either an in-class
> debate or a service learning project where students would write op-eds
> about it.
>
> Here's more info about the proposition:
> http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/en/propositions/58/
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah Bunin Benor
> Associate Professor of Contemporary Jewish Studies
> Hebrew Union College
> University of Southern California

Dra. Evelyn Dean-Olmsted
Catedrática Auxiliar, Departamento de Sociología y Antropología
Universidad de Puerto Rico, Recinto Río Piedras
evelyn.dean at upr.edu
https://uprrp.academia.edu/EvelynDeanOlmsted