[Linganth] LSJ events at the AAAs

Riner, Robin conleyr at marshall.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:00:42 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Please see below a list of events that the Language and Social Justice Task Force is sponsoring and/or participating in at this year's American Anthropological Association meeting in Minneapolis. We hope to see you all there!

If you would like to send an email to me (Robin) of a panel or event you are involved in that you think would be of interest to LSJ members, I can compile a list and send that around as well.

Best,

The LSJ Core Members (Netta Avineri, Susan Blum, Hilary Dick, and Robin Conley Riner)

1.      Language and Social Justice Task Force Meeting

Saturday, Nov. 19, 12:15-1:30 pm

All are welcome!!

2.       SLA Presidential Conversation on Multilingual Education and Social Justice

Thursday, November 17, 12:15-1:30 pm
Patricia Baquedano-Lopez
Mexican and Central American indigenous students and their families as speakers of indigenous languages in K-12 schools
Ted Everhart & Magaly Lavadenz (will not be at AAA)
Proposition 58-LEARN in California (bilingual education)
Krystal Smalls
Misreadings and unreadings of blackness in language learning classrooms and scholarship
Netta Avineri & Shawna Shapiro (will not be at AAA)
Community-based heritage language schools & social justice (including case study of Nepali heritage language program)
Rodney Hopson
English only gone awry in Namibia, 25 years later?

3.      AAA Committee for Human Rights Roundtable: Human Rights, the Academy, and Beyond: How Anthropologists Engage

Saturday, Nov. 19, 1:45-3:30 pm

Includes discussion of LSJ initiatives by Kate Riley

4.       Intersectional Perspectives on the Unethical Reliance on Contingent Labor in Academia

Friday, Nov. 18, 8-9:45 am

Organized by LSJ member & Committee on Ethics Chair Steve Black and co-chaired by Netta Avineri and Kate Riley.

Robin Conley Riner, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Department of Sociology & Anthropology
Marshall University