[Linganth] Linguistic Anthropology Lessons on Black Lives Matter and Police Violence

Dick, Hilary dickh at arcadia.edu
Fri Sep 23 17:15:04 UTC 2016

Hi, Elise (and everyone)--

I haven't taught a ling anth unit on this topic, but one useful resource
would certainly be Yarimar Bonilla & Jonthan Rosa's excellent 2015 AE
article "#Ferguson: Digital protest, hashtag ethnography, and the racial
politics of social media in the United States," along with the digital
supplement that accompanies the article, available here--
http://americanethnologist.org/2014/anthropology-ferguson-missouri/

I've used this material in other classes (that were not ling anth) and
students enjoyed and appreciated it, and found it accessible to
read/comprehend.

All the best,
Hilary

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Berman, Elise <eberman at uncc.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I teach at UNC Charlotte, around a mile away from where the man was
> killed on Tuesday. I am teaching introduction to linguistic
> anthropology this semester, and I planned the whole syllabus around
> getting students to apply linguistic anthropological ideas (language
> diversity, language and identity, language and power, ideologies,
> etc.) by analyzing the language gap hypothesis. So I had planned to
> spend a lot of time talking about the relationship between language
> and inequality, but had not intended to explicitly connect these
> discussions to police violence.
>
> Now, however, I think I need to talk about police violence (and next
> week, even though in the class we are still on language structure). I
> was wondering if anyone had planned specific lessons on police
> violence and black lives matter in linguistic anthropology classes and
> would be willing to share what they did? There are obviously a lot of
> different connections, but I am having some difficulty thinking about
> how to incorporate them into the schedule/conceptual and skill
> development activities that I had already planned.
>
> Sincerely,
> Elise
>
> --
> Elise Berman
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Anthropology
> UNC Charlotte
> https://clas-pages.uncc.edu/elise-berman/

HILARY PARSONS DICK, PhD
Associate Professor of International Studies
Wenner-Gren Hunt Fellow (2016)
Department of Historical and Political Studies
* Arcadia University*
<https://www.arcadia.edu/profile/hilary-dick>
<dickh at arcadia.edu>