[Linganth] Linguistic Anthropology Lessons on Black Lives Matter and Police Violence

Donna Auston donna.auston at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 20:15:04 UTC 2016

Elise, and everyone--

In addition to the excellent resources that everyone recommended--I'd like
to throw in a
(shameless self-) plug for a couple of pieces that I've written.  I have a
longer journal article and book chapter (and a dissertation) on the
way--but these are available now.

I wrote a reflection on the die-in at the AAA meeting in DC--which I think
could speak to some ling anth themes--part of the piece is hashing out of
how embodied protest action can give voice to emotions where words don't
seem to be quite forthcoming or sufficient.  You can find a version of it
on the Anthropology Now site:
http://anthronow.com/online-articles/recalled-to-life-on-the-meaning-and-power-of-a-die-in

I wrote another piece that might be useful, also at Anthropology Now--maybe
less directly concerned with ling anth themes but still useful perhaps:
http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2016/03/25/finding-black-death-on-a-quiet-hilltop/

Conceptually there are a ton of possibilities--I'm not sure what your
syllabus looks like, from the semiotics of protest to media discourse
around victims and the state, to how race is imagined and enacted through
language, and so on.

Hope this helps.

Donna

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Berman, Elise <eberman at uncc.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I teach at UNC Charlotte, around a mile away from where the man was
> killed on Tuesday. I am teaching introduction to linguistic
> anthropology this semester, and I planned the whole syllabus around
> getting students to apply linguistic anthropological ideas (language
> diversity, language and identity, language and power, ideologies,
> etc.) by analyzing the language gap hypothesis. So I had planned to
> spend a lot of time talking about the relationship between language
> and inequality, but had not intended to explicitly connect these
> discussions to police violence.
>
> Now, however, I think I need to talk about police violence (and next
> week, even though in the class we are still on language structure). I
> was wondering if anyone had planned specific lessons on police
> violence and black lives matter in linguistic anthropology classes and
> would be willing to share what they did? There are obviously a lot of
> different connections, but I am having some difficulty thinking about
> how to incorporate them into the schedule/conceptual and skill
> development activities that I had already planned.
>
> Sincerely,
> Elise
>
> --
> Elise Berman
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Anthropology
> UNC Charlotte
> https://clas-pages.uncc.edu/elise-berman/

Donna A. Auston
Doctoral Candidate, Rutgers University Department of Anthropology
Ruth Adams Bldg, 3rd Fl
131 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ  08901-1414
www.donnaauston.com
http://facebook.com/auston.donna
Check out my newest publication: "Color Me Invisible:  The Hidden Legacy of
African American Muslims," in *The Black Experience in America, Second
Edition* <http://kendallhunt.com/store-product.aspx?id=23911>, Gayle T.
Tate & Edward Ramsamy eds.