[Linganth] Linguistic Anthropology Lessons on Black Lives Matter and Police Violence

Bonnie McElhinny bonnie.mcelhinny at utoronto.ca
Sat Sep 24 15:59:23 UTC 2016

Also:

Goodwin, Charles (1994). "Professional Vision." American Anthropologist 96(3): 606-633.

Professional Vision

Charles Goodwin

Applied Linguistics, UCLA

cgoodwin at humnet.ucla.edu

Using as data videotapes of archaeologists making maps, and lawyers animating events visible on the Rodney King videotape, this article investigates the discursive practices used by members of a profession to shape events in the phenomenal environment they focus their attention upon, the domain of their professional scrutiny, into the objects of knowledge that become the insignia of their profession: the theories, artifacts and bodies of expertise that are its special domain of competence and set it apart from other groups. Seeing is investigated as a socially situated, historically constituted body of practices through which the objects of knowledge which animate the discourse of a profession are constructed and shaped. Analysis focuses on three practices, coding schemes, highlighting, and the articulation of graphic representations, which are articulated in a work relevant way within sequences of human interaction. Through the structure of talk in interaction members of a profession hold accountable for, and contest, the proper constitution and perception of the objects that define their professional competence.

**************
Bonnie McElhinny
Associate Professor, Anthropology and Women and Gender Studies Institute
University of Toronto

Associate Editor, Journal of Sociolinguistics

Anthropology:  Room 364, Anthropology Building, 19 Russell St., Univ. of Toronto
Toronto, ON, CANADA M5S 2S2
Ph:  416-978-3297

WGSI:  Room 2042, 40 Willcocks St., New College, Wilson Hall, Univ. of Toronto
Toronto ON M5S 1C6