[Linganth] Linguistic Anthropology Lessons on Black Lives Matter and Police Violence

gregory morton duffmorton at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 04:25:02 UTC 2016

Hello, everyone,
      Thank you for this fascinating and very, very helpful discussion!
         I just wanted to add a tangential idea. Summerson Carr has a great paper about "anticipatory interpellation," which she defines as "reading how one is hailed as a particular kind of institutional subject and responding as such."

        The paper doesn't directly address police violence and it predates Black Lives Matter. But it strikes me that "anticipatory interpellation" is a powerful framework through which to interpret the hands up -- don't shoot gesture. (In raising one's hands, one anticipates the way the police will address oneself-- and responds as scripted.) At any rate, all of this does add an interesting twist to Althusser's example of interpellation as hailing by the police.

      To boot, Summerson's paper offers a striking reading of language politics among social workers. It might make for a nice addition to an upper-level ling anth class on BLM and governmental uses of language in the contemporary US.
              Am very glad to see all of these ideas on the list!
                                  -Duff Morton

Carr, Summerson. "Anticipating and inhabiting institutional identities." American Ethnologist 36.2 (2009): 317-336.
https://ssascholars.uchicago.edu/sites/default/files/e-carr/files/j.1548-1425.2009.01137.x_0.pdf