[Linganth] Culture and Communication: An Introduction (New textbook)

Jim Wilce Jim.Wilce at nau.edu
Fri Aug 18 22:18:45 UTC 2017

I'm delighted to announce the publication of my textbook, Culture and Communication: An Introduction (Cambridge, 2017).

I wrote this book because I wanted for my own teaching a textbook that balances close linguistic/semiotic analysis with anthropological theory and ethnography in such contexts as poetics and ritual. Culture and Communication emphasizes what linguistic anthropology shares with other subfields along with what sets it apart. I think it represents a new take on our subfield and on issues that we all discuss and debate: linguistic relativity (an area in which there has been so much rich recent work that is not yet reflected in many textbooks); parallelism (shown to be far more pervasive than other textbooks might lead one to believe); and contributing to recent processual approaches to semiotic anthropology-to name but a few examples.

Culture and Communication can, I believe, be a key resource for teaching introductory linguistic anthropology courses. I have created a trove of pedagogical tools in the book and online, including links to videos such as lectures by well known linguistic anthropologists. Together with the book itself-reasonably priced (around $34.95)- the online resources should give students the tools that they need to enter linguistic anthropology's doorway and gain enough interest in the field to continue with further study.

I have been pleased at the reactions Culture and Communication is receiving from respected scholars and introductory students alike. If Cambridge hasn't already sent you a copy, you can either fill out a form on the website here<http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/anthropology/linguistic-anthropology/culture-and-communication-introduction?format=PB#wrub5LoMDqE3qbCf.97>, or contact your local sales representative. I hope you find it both enjoyable and eminently useful.

-- Jim Wilce