[Linganth] updated Hate Speech/Free Speech list

Yazan Haitham Bisharah Doughan yazan at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 24 08:08:14 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I am following this thread with great interest and feel grateful for all the useful suggestions. I am somewhat surprised, however, that the suggestions focus almost exclusively on racism and hate speech with hardly anything on free speech. This is particularly surprising given all the work on language ideologies in linguistic anthropology. It makes me wonder if the omission is simply due to the sense of urgency we all feel about combating hate speech, or if it is a sign of a deeper commitment to free speech as a language ideology that goes unnoticed in academia and in linguistic anthropology in particular (perhaps the latter possibility implies the former?). I would love to hear your  thoughts, and would very much appreciate some reading suggestions.

Yazan