[Linganth] First person pronouns

Woolard, Kathryn kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Sat Aug 26 05:55:07 UTC 2017

Has anyone mentioned English “one” and French “on” ?

Best,
Kit W.

From: Linganth <linganth-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> on behalf of Tatsuma Padoan <tp26 at soas.ac.uk>
Date: Friday, August 25, 2017 at 7:57 PM
To: Liz Coville <ecoville at gmail.com>
Cc: "LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG" <linganth at listserv.linguistlist.org>
Subject: Re: [Linganth] First person pronouns

Hello,

Although not an alternative type of singular first person pronoun (only an alternative pronominal option for singular users), Benveniste interestingly refers to the category of "amplified person" when discussing the use of "we" for self-presentation of singular speaking subjects, as in the case of pluralis maiestatis, or pluralis modestiae ("pop. Tuscan, 'Noi si canta'", Problems in General Linguistics, p. 203).

Best,
Tatsuma

Dr Tatsuma PADOAN

JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Anthropology

Osaka University, Japan

Research Associate

Department of Religions and Philosophies

School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London

Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square

London WC1H 0XG

UK

https://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff90819.php