[Linganth] First person pronouns

Ronald Kephart ronkephart at comcast.net
Sun Aug 27 12:32:12 UTC 2017

Hi Cyndi,

In Garifuna, an Arawakan language that developed through contact between
Carib and Arawak speakers in the Eastern Caribbean, there are/were
traditionally two 1st-singular pronouns.  /aw/ comes from Carib and
is/was used by males, while /nugúya/ comes from Arawakan and is used by
females.  My consultant told me that typically children, including boys,
use /nugúya/ until the boys are old enough to spend more time with their
father and other adult males.  So you have sentences like:

/hiyáru nugúya/  'I am a woman'
/wugúri aw/   'I am a man'

(Stress is marked for convenience; not phonemic.)

Ron