[Linganth] First person pronouns

Adam Harr aharr at stlawu.edu
Mon Aug 28 14:53:58 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Michael Ewing has a terrific paper on first and second person reference in Indonesian, titled "Localizing Person Reference Among Indonesian Youth." Ewing shows that colloquial varieties of Indonesian have an open system of self-reference that hip young people (as well as unhip and not so young people, I'm sure) use to position themselves socially. You can find the paper in this collection: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/upload/1ade6aa9-8b51-43a1-9efc-b7290a7a17bd_TPCS_162_Special%20Issue.pdf

best,

Adam Harr
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology