[Linganth] Researchers working with mathematics and culture and language

metaimagem metaimagem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 17:57:52 UTC 2017

Dear list members,

The government of Brazil has now open (12/12/2017) post-doctoral positions
for Brazilians who want to conduct research abroad.

I am writing to you to ask for suggestions of people working with the
intersection of language, mathematics and culture. I am very interested in
work and collaborate with my research and I think it is a chance I have to
ask for it.

   The palavra contada <https://slides.com/rogeriolourenco/deck-1> / counting
> words <https://slides.com/rogeriolourenco/deck> project is a endeavor I
> had the chance to start thanks to the Social Pull Request
> <http://socialpullrequest.github.io/> initiative, in order to make
> possible to understand how *counting* can be something that is both
> narrative
> <https://medium.com/@fjmubeen/how-not-to-memorise-mathematics-98fef71aefcf?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_profile_view_base_recent_activity_details_shares%3BWIFPfnjdQSeh9lAz5EttXA%3D%3D> and
> structure. In Portuguese the verb *contar* (to count) holds both words (
> contar estorias /  to tell stories ) and numbers (contar de zero até 10 /
> count from zero to ten ). Although it meaning is not totally covered in
> English, it maintains somehow the semantic link to the activity of creation.

I would like to know researchers who have common interests with these
subjects.

best,
Rogerio Lourenço
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rogerio_Lourenco