[Linganth] CDC Language ban

Catharine Mason cmason.nc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 22:54:27 UTC 2017

Hi everyone and thanks, Galey for this suggestion!

Has anyone documented the practice of banning words in their many forms in
the US? From Marxist concepts to indigenous languages to censorship? And
other examples ... no doubt. Perhaps build a momentum against censorship as
a means of countering this madness by valorising language.

The idea of publicizing the intended wording of texts could prove
provocative ... maybe someone will come up with a few texts beforehand to
arouse social media to make noise ... #TrumpDiscoversSpelling, for example.

Personally, I'm getting tired of the Trump slamming -- I find it
distracting from the fact that the GOP attack on the peoples of the world
was not set into this whirling motion by a gold-blinded imbecile. Even
though he does add fuel.

Most of the promising attacks on the current administration are in the
polls or in the courts. But I would love to partake in an action created by
another anthropologist linguist :) Please let me know if you hear of any.

Writing from France, originally from the rural South,
Yours in Solidarity,

Catharine Mason

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Galey Modan <gmodan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any ideas how we as an organization might fight this?
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/
> cdc-gets-list-of-forbidden-words-fetus-transgender-
> diversity/2017/12/15/f503837a-e1cf-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_
> story.html?utm_term=.ad1d1b951b0d

Associate Professor of English and Linguistic Ethnography
Université de Caen-Basse Normandie
Maison de la recherche en sciences humaines
Esplanade de la Paix
14032 CAEN- Cedex
France

President of VOVA, Inc.