[Linganth] CDC Language ban

Charles Briggs clbriggs at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 18 16:50:48 UTC 2017

Friends,
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I would like to make two points.

First, let's pool information about the ban and what happens in the wake
of its revelation. I am trying to get touch with people who work at the
CDC to see if I can learn more. A number of us might have friends or
relatives who could provide information, probably anonymously.
Communication in public health in general and the CDC specifically
essentially follows military-style hierarchical controls, which is part
of what makes the ban so significant, so this sort of diffuse, informal
ethnographic approach is what is most likely to pay off.

Second, this situation invites us to look beyond the usual division of
labor between linguistic and medical anthropology to see ways that
ideologies and practices associated with what are constructed as
"language" and "communication" are deeply entangled with those
associated with "medicine" and "health." This nexus, which I referred to
as biomediatization in a book with media scholar Daniel Hallin, includes
but also goes much deeper than either banning these  particular lexical
items or  fetishizing others (like 'preparedness' or 'sustainability').
In order to get a handle on this situation and to see what it represents
in the day-to-day work of the CDC (and possibly state and local public
health agencies), we need to scrutinize more broadly how mediatization
and the regimentation of what is constructed as "communication" shape
rather than simply reflect what counts as health and illness. These
issues are deeply tied into those recently analyzed by anthropologists
who look at issues of security.
Best,
Charles