[Linganth] Query from a student looking for resources on the way "terrorist" is used in everyday discourse

Graber, Kathryn E. graberk at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 10 21:32:08 UTC 2017

Good topic! I assume your student is thinking of the U.S., but there are some great comparative cases of reframing political separatist movements as "terrorist." One of the more flagrant examples of this is to be found in the Russian government's successful re-presentation of Chechen separatists as "terrorists" in the 1990s and early 2000s, which was a discursive prerequisite for mounting "counter-terrorist operations" (read: massively bloody wars) there. What makes this case particularly salient for similar discussions in the U.S. is that it looks like Chechen would-be separatists have been radicalized and acts of terror made increasingly common over the 1990s-2000s in response to the military actions justified by labeling Chechen separatists "terrorists." There has been quite a lot written on this in English, mostly by political scientists and military/intelligence types (and apologies if I'm forgetting or missing any ling anth work!). Here, for instance, is an interesting comparison of Chechnya, Kurdistan, and Kosovo--sort of a media discourse analysis by a political scientist using "framing" as the main theoretical framework:

Pokalova: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10576101003691564

Or Snetkov:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09668130701655192

Both of these articles compare media discourse surrounding events, either in different locations or across time, which would be a sensible way to go about your student's project too.

Best wishes,

Kate

Kathryn E. Graber
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology &
Department of Central Eurasian Studies
Indiana University
Frances Morgan Swain Student Building 130
701 E. Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7100, USA
+1 812.856.3777
graberk at indiana.edu