[Linganth] Narratives and Performances of "Wellness"

Michael H. Agar magar at umd.edu
Fri Feb 17 19:08:02 UTC 2017

Showing my age here, but Erve Goffman keeps coming to mind, especially as
he combines "presentation of self" with "forms of talk." Phil Manning did
an overview of his work – see URL below.

Hope that helps.

Mike

https://www.amazon.com/Erving-Goffman-Sociology-Contemporary-Thinkers/dp/0804720266/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487358064&sr=1-36&keywords=erving+goffman

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Peterson, Leighton C. <
lpeterson at miamioh.edu> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a student working on a project we are tentatively calling
> "Narratives and Performances of Wellness," where she is interested in how
> participants in an organized arts/music group mask ailments, injury, or
> other things to maintain status and ensure continued participation in the
> group.  Methodologically we are not having an issue (but if you have
> suggestions, please advise!). However, we are having a bit of a problem
> locating linganth/siociolinguistic/linguistic work related to the subject
> matter at hand.  Any resources you could suggest would be most appreciated.
>
> best,
>
> leighton
>
> --
> Leighton C. Peterson, Ph.D.