[Linganth] Narratives and Performances of "Wellness"

Deborah Keller-Cohen dkc at umich.edu
Fri Feb 17 19:22:33 UTC 2017

You might try some of Cheryl Mattingly's work on narrative in the practice
of occupational therapy.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Michael H. Agar <magar at umd.edu> wrote:

> Showing my age here, but Erve Goffman keeps coming to mind, especially as
> he combines "presentation of self" with "forms of talk." Phil Manning did
> an overview of his work – see URL below.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Mike
>

> https://www.amazon.com/Erving-Goffman-Sociology-Contemporary-Thinkers/dp/
> 0804720266/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487358064&
> sr=1-36&keywords=erving+goffman
>
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Peterson, Leighton C. <
> lpeterson at miamioh.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I have a student working on a project we are tentatively calling
>> "Narratives and Performances of Wellness," where she is interested in how
>> participants in an organized arts/music group mask ailments, injury, or
>> other things to maintain status and ensure continued participation in the
>> group.  Methodologically we are not having an issue (but if you have
>> suggestions, please advise!). However, we are having a bit of a problem
>> locating linganth/siociolinguistic/linguistic work related to the
>> subject matter at hand.  Any resources you could suggest would be most
>> appreciated.
>>
>> best,
>>
>> leighton
>>
>> --
>> Leighton C. Peterson, Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor of Anthropology
>> Miami University

> --
> Michael Agar
> www.ethknoworks.com

Deborah Keller-Cohen
Professor of Linguistics, Women's Studies and Education
Associate Dean for Academic Programs and Initiatives
Director, Rackham Program in Public Scholarship
PI, Humanities Doctorates for the Twenty-First Century
http://sites.lsa.umich.edu/humanities-phd-proj/
Rackham Graduate School
University of Michigan
915 E. Washington St. Suite 1120