[Linganth] Narratives and Performances of "Wellness"

Steven Black stevepblack at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 00:06:00 UTC 2017

Hi all,
If I'm understanding correctly, the object of inquiry is people masking injuries in performance ensembles. I don't think there is anything specifically on this topic, but combining a few relevant bodies of literature could be useful. E. g.

Deception, sincerity... including Goffman's classic work in presentation of self, perhaps Susan Blum's work? And others? I have a piece in Ethos on disclosure and performance that probably isn't relevant but might have something in it for you.

Performance and embodiment: including Haviland's piece on "Musical Spaces"; my piece "the intersubjective space-time of a Zulu gospel choir..." in Social Semiotics might be relevant, as might Devon Hinton's piece on flexibility primers in the Handbook of Medical Ethnomusicology.

Then narrative: all the work mentioned, plus that of Elinor Ochs. I also have a piece in Pragmatics and Society "narrating fragile stories..." that may touch on some topics of relevance.

I'd be happy to send along a more comprehensive bibliography on embodiment, performance, and language if you email me directly.

Take care,
Steve Black

Please excuse any typos (sent via mobile device)

Steven P. Black
Chair of the Committee on Ethics of the American Anthropology Association
Department of Anthropology
Georgia State University