[Linganth] Fwd: Request to contribute to a review on 'Culture, Context, Mental Health and Psychosocial Wellbeing of Refugees from the African Great Lakes Area'

Yael Peled yael.a.peled at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 03:18:40 UTC 2017

Below is a call for contributors which might be of interest to list subscribers.

All good wishes,

Yael

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: Pieter Ventevogel <ventevog at UNHCR.ORG <mailto:ventevog at UNHCR.ORG>>
>> Subject: Request to contribute to a review on 'Culture, Context, Mental Health and Psychosocial Wellbeing of Refugees from the African Great Lakes Area'
>> Date: January 15, 2017 at 11:34:02 AM GMT-5
>> To: <TCPSYCH at LISTS.MCGILL.CA <mailto:TCPSYCH at LISTS.MCGILL.CA>>
>>
>> DearList serve subscribers,
>>
>> UNHCR (the Refugee Agency of the United Nations) invited a group of experts to work on a review on 'Culture, Context, and Mental health’ of refugees from three countries of the African Great Lakes region: Burundi, Rwanda and Eastern DRC.
>>
>> The document aims to inform mental health professionals, community workers and humanitarian aid workers working with refugees from Burundi, Rwanda or DRC, about the cultural and local understandings of mental health and wellbeing, including coping, cultural concepts, traditional and spiritual healing, and health seeking behaviour, of people originating from this region.
>>
>> A better understanding of the local context and cultural concepts of patients may improve clinical encounters and contribute to the development of more adequate interventions of people that were exposed to collective violence and forced displacement.
>>
>> Two experts with considerable  research experience in the region are leading the process.: Mrs Henny Slegh, psychotherapist and medical anthropologist, and Mrs Suzan Song, child psychiatrist and global mental health expert. As a first step they have started, with a group of mainly African authors, to make a first draft.
>>
>> They would like to be in contacts with relevant experts to participate in the project:
>>
>> Mental health professionals, social workers, social scientists who themselves have a migration background from Rwanda, Burundi or eastern DRC;
>> Academics who have done clinical or ethnographic research on mental health and psychosocial support in the Great Lakes Area;
>> Clinicians with extensive work experience with this group of refugees.
>> At this stage we look for
>> Names of potential contributors/ reviewers (please send name, affiliation, contact details and a 3-10 lines description of your experience);
>> Documents and reports on mental health and psychosocial wellbeing in Burundi, DRC, Rwanda and on refugees from that area. This may include publications in peer reviewed journals, but we explicitly also look for other documents such as unpublished research reports, project evaluatuons, case descriptions etc, in English, French or any other language.
>> If you can help, or know people who could, please contact:
>>
>> Henny Slegh:  hennyslegh at gmail.com <mailto:hennyslegh at gmail.com>
>> Suzan Song: Suzan.song at post.harvard.edu <mailto:Suzan.song at post.harvard.edu>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pieter Ventevogel (Peter)
>> Senior Mental Health Officer
> [...]

--------------------------------

Dr. Yael Peled

Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Language and Health
The Health Care Access for Linguistic Minorities (HCALM <https://www.mcgill.ca/hssaccess/trhpp/research>) Network

Institute for Health and Social Policy
McGill University
Charles Meredith House