[Linganth] AN call for columns -- Populism Rising

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:48:14 UTC 2017

As the US inaugurates a new president, /AN/ will turn an eye toward the
rise of populism from a global perspective. We’re seeking proposals for
feature articles, notes from the field, commentary, photo essays and
other media that address aspects of populism or populist movements.
We’re looking for novel and engaging perspectives on the US, France,
Austria, the UK, Turkey, Venezuela, and elsewhere. What does an
anthropological sensibility bring to the conversation? What is the role
of the anthropologist and the value of anthropology in this current
social and political moment?

*Please submit your proposal for our populism series by February 6.*

Send AN at americananthro.org <mailto:AN at americananthro.org> a proposal
that includes:

 1. A 250-word pitch. Can you tell us the main point of your story in a
    few sentences?
 2. A 50 word author bio.

We’re particularly interested in proposals for photo essays (8–10 high
resolution images and a 600 word introductory essay) and other media,
including short ethnographic films (max. 5 minutes in length)
and fieldwork cartoons.