[Linganth] AAA 2017 meetings in Washington, D.C.

Roth Gordon, Jennifer F - (jenrothg) jenrothg at email.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 30 06:07:35 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I am trying my best to fill the big shoes of Judy Pine, who has served as Program Chair for SLA for the last few years. Thank you very much for your service and guidance Judy!

It is still January, and our conference feels far off, but I wanted to share the relevant info with you so that you can plan ahead.

Meeting Details and Logistics:

116th AAA Annual Meeting

Wednesday, November 29 - Sunday, December 3

Marriott Wardman Park Hotel

Washington, DC

>> Housing information will be available Summer 2017.

Registration is now open.

Handy chart of AAA conference deadlines:

[cid:db252494-97b2-47dd-bc8a-0d167c673e4b]

Anthropology Matters!, the theme for the 116th AAA Annual Meeting, is a call across the field to unite in our diversity, to embrace difficulty, be vibrant messmates, and promote the relevance of what anthropology is and does. Anthropology is best at describing the past, exploring the present, predicting the future, and navigating the processes of being and becoming human.

NEW! NEW! NEW!

•Please note that there is an earlier deadline this year - Friday, April 14th, by 5pm EDT.

Luckily, the IRS has extended the deadline on your taxes to Tuesday, April 18th, at midnight, local time.

Submit your AAA abstract and conference registration first. Then do your taxes.

•Just to keep you on your toes, there is a new submission system this year. Check it out here:

http://www.americananthro.org/AttendEvents/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=1695

[http://s3.amazonaws.com/rdcms-aaa/files/production/public/17CFP_ActionItems.jpg]<http://www.americananthro.org/AttendEvents/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=1695>

Annual Meeting Call for Papers - Attend Events<http://www.americananthro.org/AttendEvents/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=1695>
www.americananthro.org
We have a new submission system. Therefore, we encourage you to download our step-by-step submission guide and refer to it as you navigate our online portal ...

Important general information and reminders:

•For those who wish to submit for Section Invited status, the deadline is the same as the standard deadline, April 14, 2017 (5pm EDT). This is also the deadline for poster submissions.

•Submissions for an Executive Session should speak directly to 2017's Annual Meeting theme, Anthropology Matters! Selection and participation in AAA executive sessions is highly competitive. The AAA Annual Meeting Call for Papers submission portal is NOW OPEN for executive sessions and will close on Thursday, February 16.

•Presentation Policy (One-Plus-One rule) : Participants may only: (1) present one paper/poster, or serve as a participant on roundtable or Installation and (2) accept no more than one discussant role elsewhere on the program. An individual may serve as organizer or chair of an unlimited number of sessions. The policy of one major presentation plus one discussant role will be strictly enforced. The program committee will remove any name that appears more than twice on the scholarly program and urges individuals to refrain from accepting more than one commitment of any kind in the scholarly program. A participant may be credited with co-authorship of one or more additional papers when co-authorship is understood to include participation on a research project. Presenters’ names must appear first.

•Participation and Exemptions: Participation is limited to current paid AAA members. Visiting scholars from other disciplines or for anthropologists from countries other than the United States or Canada are eligible to obtain an exemption from the membership requirement. Individuals with membership exemptions are nonmembers and pay a higher registration fee.

•Meeting Refunds: Registration fees are refunded to presenters whose proposals/abstracts have not been accepted for the annual meeting program. The request must be made by the presenter. Registration fees will not be refunded to program presenters who withdraw/cancel on their own accord.

As always, planning early is critical. Organized sessions almost always fare better than individual papers (which then must be organized into sessions after submission). Please use this list to communicate about possible panels and seek out new connections and collaborations. Poster submissions are also welcome.

Let the planning begin!

jen roth-gordon

Jennifer Roth-Gordon
Associate Professor
School of Anthropology
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0030

Race and the Brazilian Body: Blackness, Whiteness, and Everyday Language in Rio de Janeiro
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520293809
https://www.amazon.com/Race-Brazilian-Body-Blackness-Whiteness/dp/0520293800/