[Linganth] transcription services/online resources?

Jef Van der Aa j.vanderaa at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 14:38:07 UTC 2017

Dear everyone,
There's not just the inequality among students in terms of economy, there's also something to say for having students transcribe their own data. Not justas  a useful technical exercise/skill (which it is, see Gail Jefferson and the (CA) like), but also as a theoretical enterprise. Transcribing your own data forces you to pay attention to detail, to words, phrases and accents, deeper structures,... only you can recognize in a particular sociocultural context. Hymes also gives plenty of arguments for it being a useful theoretical-methodological task. Cheers.