[Linganth] Endangered writing systems: an appeal

George Fulford g.fulford at icloud.com
Fri Jun 30 16:12:27 UTC 2017

Good morning from Winnipeg, Canada.  This is a thoroughly worthwhile endeavour (note my Canadian spelling of that last word).  I will add a couple of comments, rather than anything to your list.  First - regarding alphabets.  As you know, strictly speaking alphabets attempt to represent the inventory of phonemes in a given language with distinct characters.  In practice, through orthographic idiosyncracies there are often fewer characters than there are phonemes.  So in most dialects of English we have 43 orr 44 phonemes, but just 26 "letters" in the alphabet.

Alphabets are just one of three distinct ways that I can think of by which we can use visual marks to represent the sounds of a spoken language.  At least three of the languages listed in your email (Cree and Inuktitut) use the syllabary that was invented by. Methodist missionary James Evans in Norway House (Manitoba) in the 1840s.  You could add Ojibwa to this list too.  Syllabaries represents the possible syllables in these spoken languages, not their individual consonants and vowels the way an alphabet does.  It is conceptually and definitionally important to distinguish alphabets from syllabaries when talking about writing systems.

Ideographs such as Mandarin represent a third kind of writing system.  Ideographic characters represent entire concepts/words.  In the case of Mandarin, it is possible to trace how contemporary characters developed from pictorial representations, such as those found on oracle bones 3000 years ago. Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs and Mayan glyphs also seem to have developed in this way.

There are other systems of visually representing language that could also be considered, such as quipus, braille, the various ways for visually representing signed languages - perhaps even Laban notation used for choreographing dance, that might also be considered.  But this is likely straying too far afield.

George Fulford
Sent from my iPad