[Linganth] Anthropology News: Trumped Up Words

Ogren, Holly ogren at tcnj.edu
Wed Mar 1 17:35:19 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

A student in my current Gender and Language course asked for my help in
identifying (linguistic) anthropological sources connected to her thesis in
International Studies.

She is ultimately interested in how shifting discourses of masculinity
contribute to gender violence in refugee camps. She is starting with a
focus on how the structure (physical and otherwise) of the refugee camps
and particularly the regulation of space might impact refugees' sense of
"masculinity" and, in turn, how this connects to gender violence. The
example she gave was of Palestinian refugees who have lost their physical
homes, a situation that is particularly threatening to men whose sense of
worth is partly linked to being able to provide a physical home for their
families.

Obviously the student's project relates not only to linguistic
anthropology, but to anthropology more generally. Therefore, while I am
particularly interested in passing on to the student sources that link
language (use) to her thesis, I would welcome suggestions outside our
subfield as well.

I will happily compile a list of resources to share with colleagues through
this list.

Sincerely,
Holly HK Didi-Ogren

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Adam Hodges <Adam.Hodges at colorado.edu>
wrote:

> For those interested in a linguistic anthropological perspective on
> current political events, I’m writing a monthly column on language and
> politics this year for Anthropology News. Here are links to the first few
> articles:
>
> When the Discourse of Theater Trumps Truth
> http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2017/03/01/when-t
> he-discourse-of-theater-trumps-truth/
>
> How Plausibly Deniable Is It?
> http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2017/02/01/how-pl
> ausibly-deniable-is-it/
>
> Trump’s Formulaic Twitter Insults
> http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2017/01/18/trumps
> -formulaic-twitter-insults/
>
> Please feel free to contact me with feedback or suggestions.
>
> Adam

Holly HK Didi-Ogren, PhD
Japanese Program Coordinator, World Languages and Cultures Department
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bliss Hall 303
The College of New Jersey
Ewing, NJ 08628