[Linganth] AAA panel CFP: citizenship on the periphery

Jessica Fae Nelson jfnelson at email.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 20 03:36:07 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

Please consider joining our panel on "citizenship on the periphery"
described below. We especially welcome papers on a wide variety of
geographic and social contexts and from the perspectives of different
subfields/approaches within anthropology. If interested, please send your
250 word abstract, title and keywords to Jessica Nelson at
jfnelson at email.arizona.edu by March 27th.

Recent political shifts in the US, Brazil, and elsewhere, remind us of the
importance of interrogating concepts such as “democracy” and “citizenship.”
We take both concepts to represent ongoing processes and sets of
relationships that are under (re)construction, rather than being
established, regardless of geographical or socio-historical context.
Perhaps the workings of a democracy and the nature of  its potential
citizenships are best revealed when we look not only at the political
centers but also at a society’s margins, and the actions of those most
excluded from such centers of privilege (Holston 2008, Miraftab and Wills
2005), the “invited spaces” or the “spaces of power” (Cornwall and Coelho
2007) where a differentiated access to social, economic and political
resources is maintained among a privileged few. This panel will explore the
nature of citizenship on the periphery from a range of social and
geographic contexts. The panel as a whole will also draw on a variety of
approaches within anthropology, from the micro-level of discourse and the
(re)construction of social meanings in interaction, to work focusing on
broader historical changes and how they are remembered. This will allow us
to look at these issues from multiple angles and at different scales,
bringing to light critical intersections and commonalities between
democracies and modes of citizenship across a variety of contexts.