[Linganth] Early Announcement for Inaugural SLA Spring 2017 Conference

SLA Online soclinganth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 20:34:49 UTC 2017

The Society for Linguistic Anthropology is excited to announce that our
association will soon be open to receive submissions to our inaugural
conference. The conference organizing committee is working with AAA to get
the registration site set up in addition to a website connected to the SLA
page that will provide detailed information about the event, submission
instructions, accommodations, and transportation.

In anticipation of this site being launched soon, we are now circulating
the CFP so that colleagues can be aware of the conference theme and the
types of submissions we seek. For more information, please click on the
link.
<http://linguisticanthropology.org/blog/2017/09/22/inaugural-sla-spring-2017-conference/>
*CFP, SLA Conference, Spring 2018**New: Media, Meanings, Messages,
E-Motions**Inaugural Conference of the Society for Linguistic Anthropology
March 8-10; University of Pennsylvania**Society for Linguistic Anthropology
Meeting**March 8-10 , 2018, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia**NEW:
MEDIA, MESSAGES, MEANINGS, E-MOTIONS*

The Society for Linguistic Anthropology invites submissions for its
inaugural annual spring meeting March 8-10, 2018 at the University of
Pennsylvania. We welcome panels and presentations [will there be posters,
or other formats?] from a wide variety of scholarly directions dedicated to
the study of language and semiosis in their social and cultural contexts.
Scholars of Anthropology, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics,
Sociolinguistics, and adjacent disciplines are all invited to participate.

The theme “New: Media, Messages, Meanings, E-motions” invites thinking
through how language and semiosis more broadly are involved in producing
new and contingent forms and functions. From thinking about mass media to
affective states, from new forms of message to the shifting indexicalities
of their meaning, the meetings provide an opportunity to think through how
new forms and functions emerge, how participants perceive and describe
them, and what kinds of anxieties and possibilities are produced. The terms
“media, message, meaning, and e-motion” are meant to suggest possible
clusters of analysis to think through how new forms of semiosis emerge,
challenge older forms, and show the effects of contingency in social life.

--
*Society for Linguistic Anthropology Online*

Digital Content Editor: Mariam Durrani (Harvard Graduate School of
Education)

SLA Web Assistant: Diego Arispe-Bazan (University of Pennsylvania)