[Linganth] Fwd: 2018-19 Call for Applications - UC President's Postdoctoral Fellowship Program

Grant Aiton aiton.grant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 21:27:21 UTC 2017

Hello Mary,

I am a recent PhD graduate from James Cook University in Cairns, Australia,
and I am very interested in applying for a postdoc at UCSB through the UC
President's Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. My dissertation was a grammar
of Eibela, a previously undescribed language of the Bosavi language family
in Papua New Guinea. This research involved extensive fieldwork and
corpus/usage-based methodologies for developing grammatical
generalizations.

As a full grammar, my dissertation has a very broad scope, but on many
topics, a more in-depth analysis is needed. I am therefore planning several
projects analyzing Eibela phonetics, phonology, and morphosyntax.  As a
long term plan for future research, I am considering the documentation of
other Bosavi languages which are undescribed, but clearly related to
Eibela. Eventually, this could develop into historical comparison and
reconstruction as the individual languages of the family become better
documented.

I also completed an MSc in linguistics at the University of Alberta, and am
very interested in language documentation and revitalization efforts in
North America (particularly Dene languages), but since I lack direct
experience in a North American language community, I am finding it
difficult to form a proper research proposal without contacts or support
from within a language community.

I would be very grateful if you could share your insight into how I could
best contribute to the research program at UCSB, and whether these general
research projects seem to be a good fit.

Best regards,
Grant Aiton

--

Grant Aiton, PhD
4-32 Assiniboia Hall, University of Alberta,
Email: aiton at ualberta.ca

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Mary Bucholtz <bucholtz at linguistics.ucsb.edu